Sunday, March 30, 2008

Two weeks and counting

I already received complaints from peoplesaying i need to post more info. I have quickly come to realize how accostomed I had become to some of the things I considered everyday comodities.
Having my own laptop and being able to connect to the internet from anywhere in my house and have a fast connection. Since I don't have Internet service at home yet, I have to rely on my wife's work laptop that utilizes a cell phone connection to the internet. Let's just say that it was much easier to think about posting that actually doing it.

It's already been two full weeks since I've moved to this new land, it's kind of hard to believe when I stop and think about it. The fact that I had spent significant amounts of time here on previous occasions and the fact that I had been preparing for this for what seems like a very long time (three to four months is not an eternity, but we do live in a custure of instant gratification), has probably eased the transition, but it does feel already like it's been longer then two weeks. It already has that feeling of familiar. That must not discact me though. The last thing I want is to fall into a comfort patter so easy on. Praise God it's been the opposite so far. Not only has the unfamiliar, and discovering the new job kept me challenged, but I'm continuing to challenge myself and my faith.

Comfort is the biggest obstacle to progress.

Familiarity, though dows not not mean that there are no suprises. I have already had my encouters with some "What........?"moments. I was quickly introduced to the new way of doing things.
As with most new jobs, I had to get some physical test done. Here you actually need a health certificate. Let me outlien what the process looks like. 1) You can go to a private institure pay to get the exams done and release the ceritificate or 2) Have your doctor request the exams so you can go to a public outpatient Ambulatorio, get the exams done for free, the go to the local Hospital or diagnostics center where they will read the result of the exams, send the paper to processing and release the certificate. Option two sounds longer and more complicated doesn't it'? Well it is. Of course, for anyone that has lived here will recomend option 2 because it's whopping $10 cheaper. If you have ever gone to a new town and asked for directiosn for anything, you already know not to ask for the shortest way but for the easiest. Familiarity makes many things look easy. I didn't know about option one, so I was stuck with option two. In addition to the 3 steps vs. 1, I was dealing with one more element of surprise. It was easter week - here refered to Holy Week. Appearently because it's easter week, many professionals believe it's OK not to have to work all week. To make a long story short. I had went to 4 different offices, in two neighbouring towns, of which I don't know my way aruond, just to find out there was no one available to sign the papers until the following week. All I could think about was "Great! I have travelled all across the globe just to find the same burocratic crap I had back in Italy" Oh well... the things of life!

No comments: