Many people have asked what life in Puerto Rico is like so I figured it’s time to list some of the difference between this culture and "the other cultures" I’ve been closely exposed to as well as some things I find interesting or amusing..
So much to list, I don't know where to start.
How about this...
Measurement system:
- In Puerto Rico you mile markers on highways are measured in Km while speed limits are indicated in Mph
- Gas stations sell gas by the liter while grocery stores sell milk by the gallon.
I still don't know how to buy land. It's measured in "cuerdas" but I don't know how it compares to acres. Houses are measured in square meters.
Political system:
There are 3 main parties. Differently than in the rest of the US, the political views are not differentiated by social, economical, morally conservative or liberal. From what I can tell, there in not much difference in regards to these aspects. Everyone thinks the government owes them something, looking for "hidden benefits" and ways to get around the system, everyone claims to be broke and the moral fabric of the island is falling apart.
The only thing that matters is what you think the future of the islands relationship to the US should be. Should PR become the 51st state? Should become ask for independence? Should accept its current state (US territory)
No comments:
Post a Comment